RTC Communications exists to provide quality and reliable communications, entertainment and technology products and services to Daviess, Martin and Lawrence counties.
RTC seeks to deliver the future today to our customers and community. Our number on priority has been to combine state-of-the-art technology and old-fashioned service to provide you and your business with the highest quality of communications available.
- Honesty & Trust
- Commitment to our people, community and staying abreast of the latest technology and innovation that will improve the lives of our customers and community.
Daviess-Martin County Rural Telephone Corporation, better known as RTC Communications, was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on October 27, 1949 by a group of 45 farmers. They purchased the Montgomery, Epsom and Glendale telephone exchanges, known as the MEG Telephone System, for $4,500 from Louis Roundtree who had acquired them from Midwest Telephone Co. in the early 1940’s. These exchanges were started in the early part of the century and later acquired by Charles Head, who integrated them into the Pike County Telephone Co., predecessor of Midwest Telephone Co.
In December of 1950, the corporation purchased the Williams exchange for $150 from Max Hosea, and in June 1951 also purchased the Plainville Telephone Company for $8,000. After obtaining a Rural Electrification Administration loan in April 1952, several miles of cable were placed into service in the next coming year, and the first Stromberg-Carlson automatic dial office was put into service in 1954. That year, the corporation moved into a new headquarters building in Montgomery, making it unnecessary to continue holding business and board meetings in the county REMC building.
Service improvements continued through the 1960s and ‘70s. In 1983, the company’s first digital central office was put into service – the start of a project to convert all exchanges to single party service. In that same year, RTC Communications moved into a newly built 5,300 square foot building located on Main Street in Montgomery in which became the headquarters for RTC as we know it.
Daviess-Martin County RTC continued to expand throughout the rest of the ‘80s and ‘90s, improving not only the quality of its existing telephone services but also expanding services to surrounding communities.
Today, RTC Communications brings a multitude of services, which range from traditional dial tone with advanced calling features, to long distance, internet services including Fiber and DSL/Copper connections, data networking and much more. RTC Communications has over 4,080 local access lines; 4,324 internet customers, 2,091 long distance customers, and is currently deploying high-speed wireless internet service.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board Vice President
Mary Jo Holsopple